Have you tried the vibrant green elixir everyone is talking about? We are talking about the popular plant that has grabbed all the limelight; wheatgrass. Wheatgrass is being claimed as a highly potent food, full of nutrition and health benefits. It helps in detoxing the body and combats various allergies, infections, skin conditions and health conditions like cancer, arthritis and diabetes.
If you haven’t heard about the wheatgrass yet, let us provide you with a quick summary about the health benefits of wheatgrass and how to find the best wheatgrass powder in India.
Also Read : Best Matcha Powder in India
What is Wheatgrass Powder?
Wheatgrass powder comes from the newly sprouted leaves of the plant Triticum aestivum, also known as the common wheat plant. This thick, dry grass was primarily used by farmers for animal feed. But with time, wheatgrass became more popular as a powerhouse of nutrients and got incorporated in holistic medicine and food.
Being a nutrient rich young grass from the wheat family, 70% composition of wheatgrass is chlorophyll. This makes it one of the richest chlorophyll foods, and is therefore also known as ‘green blood’ by many people. To reap maximum benefit, it is harvested in its early development stage, around 7-10 days after sprouting. Post harvesting, it is freeze-dried and sold in tablet, capsule or powdered form for consumption.
Why is Wheatgrass Powder healthy?
Apart from being an excellent source of chlorophyll, wheatgrass also contains various nutrients like proteins, minerals, active enzymes and bioactive compounds. Wheatgrass is loaded with vitamins like vitamin A, C and E and also contains high levels of iron, magnesium, calcium and amino acids.
Wheatgrass is packed with antioxidant and antibacterial properties that help with increasing immunity and flushing out toxins. It is also anti-inflammatory and contains high levels of enzymes, which is extremely beneficial for the digestive system.
Benefits of Wheatgrass Powder
Wheatgrass powder is full of health benefits; a few of which are highlighted below.
- Wheatgrass contains high chlorophyll content that is known for detoxifying the body and supporting healthier liver function. Chlorophyll also has anti-bacterial properties, which support the immune system and ward off infections and diseases.
- Wheatgrass is known for its detox effects. It helps with cleansing of the body and reduces bloating, gas and stomach discomfort.
- Wheatgrass helps in boosting the metabolism, which can be beneficial for weight loss.
- Wheatgrass powder is known to reduce cholesterol levels. Moreover it also aids in losing weight which further leads to reduced cholesterol levels.
- Wheatgrass powder may help in preventing cancer because of its rich antioxidant properties. While the topic is still being researched; certain studies suggest that wheatgrass powder may help in killing cancer cells and support against the negative side effects of cancer treatment and radiations.
- Wheatgrass has shown to reduce blood sugar levels; however the topic is still being studied for a better understanding.
- Wheatgrass is believed to improve cognitive functions, prevent memory loss and relieve anxiety.
- Wheatgrass might also help people with rheumatoid arthritis and blood disorders. However the topic still needs more research to form a direct link.
Precautions and side-effects of Wheatgrass Powder
Before adding wheatgrass powder into your diet, it is advisable to consult your doctor if you have medical conditions, especially diabetes and blood pressure. While wheatgrass is generally safe to use, consuming it triggers nausea, hives and headaches in certain people. It’s best to start with smaller doses or decrease your intake if you experience such adverse effects. You should completely avoid wheatgrass if you are gluten intolerant or allergic to wheat or grass. Pregnant and breastfeeding mothers should also add it to their diet only after proper consultation.
Wheatgrass is also prone to moulds or contamination, depending on the soil type or the growing conditions. It is important to ensure that the plant is grown in sterile conditions and cleaned properly before consuming. Therefore, be watchful if you are growing it at home or buy only from a safe organic source which can be trusted for quality and hygiene.
How to add Wheatgrass Powder to your diet
Wheatgrass is commonly consumed as a food component, drink, or dietary supplement. Many people choose to grow wheatgrass on their own so that they can easily drink fresh wheatgrass juice at home. But because of its strong grassy flavour, it is often consumed in a tablet or powdered form.
The easiest way of consuming wheatgrass powder is by simply adding it to a glass of water, fresh juices or smoothies. By freeze-drying and dehydrating wheatgrass, it loses its strong taste and becomes milder in flavour. Wheatgrass powder therefore is more versatile and can be easily incorporated into various recipes like salad dressings, sauces, dips and desserts. However one should avoid cooking wheatgrass. In order to obtain maximum benefits, it is advisable to add the powder at the very end of the cooking.
List of Best Wheatgrass Powder in India
India has various brands that are known to provide high quality wheatgrass powder. Some of the best wheatgrass powder in India are mentioned below.
1. 24 Mantra Organic Wheat grass Powder
24 Mantra Organic is one of the best organic wheatgrass powder in India. This Indian company is known for its organic products, certified as per Indian, US and European organic standards.
- 100% organic wheatgrass powder grown without synthetic pesticides or GMOs.
- Made from seven day old sprouted wheatgrass.
- Packed with maximum care to preserve the freshness of wheatgrass.
- Good source of protein, vitamin B and vitamin E.
2. Girme’s Wheatgrass Powder
Girme’s wheatgrass powder is amongst the best wheatgrass powder in India, made by a naturopathy follower family business known for preventive health care. To obtain peak nutritional value, they grow wheatgrass for seven days under shade using organic farming methods.
- 100% natural, vegan and gluten free.
- Free from preservatives, artificial colour or pesticide residue.
- FSSAI and USDA certified.
- Known to increase hemoglobin and RBC count.
3. Organic India Wheat Grass Powder
Organic India works with small family farmers in India to cultivate sustainable and organic products. This Organic India wheatgrass powder is a certified product known to build immunity and boost energy.
- Naturally rich in chlorophyll, vitamins, minerals and antioxidants.
- Helps rebuild blood in anaemic people and maintain healthy blood sugar.
- USDA certified.
- Gluten free.
4. Organic Tattva Wheat Grass Powder
Organic Tattva is an Indian brand that has partnered with certified organic farmers to provide quality organic products. The Organic Tattva wheatgrass powder is a USDA certified organic product made of ground wheat sprout leaves.
- Good source of vitamin A, C, E, K and B complex.
- Pesticide and chemical free product.
- 100% vegan.
5. Patanjali Wheatgrass Powder
Patanjali is a renowned Indian brand known for its ayurvedic products. Patanjali wheatgrass powder is a natural supplement for strengthening natural immune system.
- Made from hygienically harvested dried wheatgrass.
- Contains no artificial added colours.
- Gluten free.
Frequently Asked Questions
Here are some of the most frequently asked questions, discussing the best wheatgrass powder in India.
Which is best wheatgrass juice or powder?
Wheatgrass juice contains more fibre and enzymes. It also retains higher chlorophyll content. However, most people dislike the strong grassy, bitter flavour of wheatgrass. Wheatgrass powder therefore is a great option for people who cannot access fresh wheatgrass or are intolerant to its raw flavour. Wheatgrass powder is milder in taste and more versatile, which is why it can be easily added to multiple recipes.
Is wheatgrass powder as good as wheatgrass?
While raw wheatgrass may be more beneficial nutritionally, wheatgrass powder and supplements are equally efficient. Raw wheatgrass is more prone to contamination or getting spoiled. Moreover it has a stronger taste which is not preferred by several people.
Wheatgrass powder is made in regulated laboratories under special regulations and guidelines, which makes it safer to use. Moreover it is milder in taste and thus can be easily added to your diet.
Is wheatgrass powder keto friendly?
Yes. Wheatgrass powder can be easily consumed whilst following a keto diet. Wheatgrass powder is low on carbs, and therefore it doesn’t create any conflict with a keto diet.
Is wheatgrass powder good for weight loss?
Wheatgrass powder helps in boosting the metabolism, which subsequently aids in weight loss. Moreover wheatgrass contains thylakoids, which make you fell satiated for longer duration. This helps with hunger cravings and thus leads to weight loss.
Can wheatgrass powder be taken daily?
Yes. Wheatgrass powder can be taken daily or every alternate day. The thing to keep in mind is to start slowly with wheatgrass and keep a check on how you feel. If you experience any side effects, you can try it with reduced quantity. Always drink plenty of water and let your body get adjusted to the potency of wheatgrass, gradually increasing your intake with time.
To summarise, wheatgrass powder is a potent supplement that can easily increase the nutritional profile of numerous drinks and foods. If nourishing food and healthy lifestyle is your choice; this is a definite must have on your list.